Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I. Miss. Clone. Wars.

I think it's been more than a year since the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars was canceled following Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm, the home studio of the Star Wars saga. The purchase brought exciting news for Star Wars fans: there will be a seventh Star Wars movie! But it also brought sad news: Clone Wars, an animated series that was aired by Cartoon Network, is canceled. 

I still can't accept this.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars is THE BEST animated series ever. It is even better than the second trilogy of the Star Wars saga (Episodes 1-3). It is so rich, filled with so many fascinating stories that reveal so much about the characters and the saga's main plot. It reveals how destructive the Sith Lord's plan is; how vulnerable Anakin is; how strong Obi-wan is; how the Jedi Order slowly falls apart without anyone noticing... It's the best, and I'm sure all Star Wars fans in the world agree with that. 

So why do they have to cancel it? I know it's because Disney has purchased Lucasfilm, but why doesn't Disney just take over the production and air it on their channel? People love the series so I'm sure they will still watch it. Besides, the production team still has so many stories to tell and is fully prepared to realize those ideas (They've prepared seasons 7 and 8!!). So why does it have to be canceled? WHY?????

Ehm please excuse my emotional explosion. 

I'm being emotional about this again because they released an unfinished story arc from Clone Wars last week. The arc is called Crystal Crisis on Utapau and consists of four episodes. It's a classic Obi-wan/Anakin adventure. There's a Jedi Master who mysteriously dies on the planet Utapau, so Obi-wan and Anakin are sent there to investigate. The clues that they find there lead them to a big conspiracy that involves General Grievous and Count Dooku. You can watch the unfinished episodes here.

Anakin and Obi-wan in action, back before the cancellation :'(

In the second episode in the arc entitled In Search of the Crystal, there's a scene that breaks my heart into a million pieces. It's a scene where Anakin and Obi-wan rest at night and talk about Ahsoka, Anakin's former padawan who leaves the Jedi Order (in that very devastating finale of the fifth season which also breaks my heart and makes me weep). Here's the transcript of their conversation.

Obi-wan : You can't take responsibility for Ahsoka's decision, Anakin.
Anakin : How would you feel if I turned into a major disappointment?
Obi-wan : It's not the same.
Anakin : It's precisely the same. You took me under your wing and practically raised me. I'm your padawan, just like Ahsoka was mine. How well would you sleep knowing that I failed you?
Obi-wan : Not very well, I imagine. Luckily, that isn't true and never will be.

How well would Obi-wan sleep knowing that Anakin failed him? You can ask him yourself after you put on your Vader suit, Ani.

Anakin and Obi-wan definitely have no idea what's coming. They don't know that Anakin would join the Dark Side and dedicate his life to kill every single Jedi in the galaxy; that he would eventually fail his own master. It's just so heartbreaking to know that Anakin has no idea that he would do that, which means that the Sith Lord corrupts his pure heart so much when he convinces Anakin to join him. Anakin aka Darth Vader might seem like the evil in the original trilogy of Star Wars (Episodes 4-6), but this little scene reminds me that he is actually the victim. The one who is hurt the most in this tragedy is Anakin.....

I think I'm going to weep again :'(

That's all from me today. May the force be with you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment