Friday, November 14, 2014

Movie Review : Interstellar

Hello! I saw one of my most anticipated year-end movies today! It's Christopher Nolan's Interstellar. And, as expected, it is a GREAT movie. I've given details about the movie here, but I didn't really know what the movie was about back then. But now that I know, let me explain what the movie is about (without giving spoiler). It's about a time in the near future when the Earth is kind of "broken". The humans are forced to find a new planet to inhabit. With some new findings that support them to do it, some people from NASA are sent to find a new home for us. 

Cooper (Matthew McConaughey), Brand (Anne Hathaway) and Romilly (David Gyasi) from Interstellar

I love how deep the movie is. I got emotional when I saw how hard it seemed for Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) to leave his 10-year-old daughter Murphy (Mackenzie Foy) for the mission. I almost cried with Cooper when he finds out that his children have grown up without him, that he will never be able to see them grow. My heart hurt when I realized that it must be very hard for Murphy too to continue living on her own while her father is floating somewhere in the outer space. I was emotionally drained at the end of the movie. This is kind of surprising for me because I thought the one that was going to be drained was my brain, but it turned out that it was my heart. Other Nolan movies are very serious and they require us to really use our brains to follow the stories, but this one is different. I like it, of course. I love having my feelings twisted (hahaha).

Cooper, his daughter Murphy (Mackenzie Foy) and their great chemistry
I was also surprised to see so many great actors in this movie! I knew that I would see Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Mackenzie Foy, Michael Caine and Jessica Chastain, but I didn't expect to see Matt Damon, Casey Affleck and Topher Grace! I'm happy that I didn't know much about the movie before I saw it today. I got surprised by the stars and many other things from it. I love surprises!

Another thing that I love about this movie is how its story goes. It goes very smoothly; very comfortable to watch. It sucked me into it. The feeling that it gave is similar to the one that I felt when I saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Both of the movies run for a looong time, more than 2,5 hours, but they didn't make me bored at all. They both sucked me into it, made me forget everything about my life for a while (I even forgot that I was watching a movie in a cinema when I saw Benjamin Button). I had to teach after seeing Interstellar today and it was so hard because I still felt like I was in another galaxy (hahaha). How could the writers write something like that? Really, really impressive. I would love to learn how they do it.

I love McConaughey's performance! I've never been a fan of this Academy Award winning actor, but I really enjoyed watching him in this one. I feel so related to his character. Cooper is someone who is good at something but the world holds him back and doesn't let him achieve what he can achieve. It sucks when it happens. It makes you feel trapped and it's frustrating. You want more and you know you have the ability to get what you want but you just can't. At some point it can even make you angry. So angry until you are willing to risk anything when an opportunity comes. I kind of know how it feels like.

So, Interstellar is a must-see movie. It has a deep and mesmerizing story, powerful characters and great actors. Definitely worth to watch!

Rating : 4,5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment