Monday, April 6, 2015

Cars, Explosions, Fights and Tears in Furious 7

I saw many interesting things last week. I saw Fifty Shades of Grey, but I don't like it so I won't review it because I don't like shaming movies on the internet. I also started watching Sherlock, which is really fun to watch. Last week's episode of The Flash with Mark Hamill aka Luke Skywalker as the guest star also amazed me. But the most memorable one is the movie that I saw on Sunday: Furious 7.

Actually, I'm not a fan of the Fast & Furious franchise. Well, I don't hate it but I'm not a diehard fan. But I was really excited to see this movie because I wanted to honor Paul Walker, one of the cast members who passed away in 2013, before the production of the movie finished. They pushed back the release date of the movie and altered the script in order to honor the actor, which makes the movie a little more emotional than the previous ones.


The movie is super loud. There are a lot of explosions in this one; I think it has more explosions than dialogues. The fight scenes are also dominating. The craziest fight scene for me is the one at the beginning, which involves Hobbs (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) and Shaw (Jason Statham). The sound of the punches is just crazy; it sounds really painful. Just hearing it makes me feel sore. Well, The Rock used to be a wrestler, right? No wonder. And the car scenes! The cars are thrown from a flying plane, from a skyscraper to another one, from a cliff... I shook my head a lot during those scenes haha. The action sequences are a little too crazy and hard to believe but I have to admit that they are pretty cool.

Despite the full-on action, the chemistry among the cast members also dominates the movie. I think this chemistry is the thing that makes this movie more special compared to other car movies, which usually lack of good chemistry and only focus on the action. These actors look like, just like Dom Toretto (Vin Diesel) says, a big family. I could see it even when they are doing the action sequences. I like this because it makes me, as a part of the audience, feel related to the characters and adds humanity to the movie.

Lastly, I really like what they do with Paul Walker's character, Brian. I think it's smart to make his character "go to a different direction". It's a beautiful way to say goodbye to his character, and to the actor as well. When I think of Paul Walker, I will smile because I will always remember that he smiles during his final scene in this movie. 


Favorite quote: "No matter where you are in this world, whether it's a quarter mile away, or half way across the world, you'll always be with me, and you'll always be my brother." -Dom Toretto about Brian O'Conner.

Rating : 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment